If you must burn, follow these tips.
- Contact your local fire department or Virginia Department of Forestry office.
- Beware of power lines, trees and structures.
- Clear all flammable materials, such as dry leaves and dry grass, from around the fire.
- Have water and hand tools, such as a shovel and/or rake, available.
- Have communication available or have someone nearby who can call for help in case of an emergency.
- Burn when the humidity is high and the wind is calm.
- Burn between 4:00 p.m. and midnight.
The 4 PM Burning Law is in effect from February 15 through April 30.
- Stay with the fire until it is completely out.
The 4PM BURN LAW
February 15 - April 30th
Burning Laws in Brief:
- No Burning before 4pm if the fire is in or within 300 feet of woodland, brushland or field containing dry grass or other flammable material.
- Fire should not be left unattended if within 150 feet of woodland, brushland or fields containing dry grass.
- No new fires set or fuel added after midnight.
- Law applies to campfires, warming fires, brush piles, leaves, household trash, stumps, fields of broomstraw and brush or anything capable of spreading fire.
- The law provides for a penalty of up to $500, plus payment of court costs and fire suppression costs if the fire escapes.
For more information, visit the following website, www.dof.virginia.gov/laws/outdoor-fire-laws.htm
Do you have a desire to make a difference in someone's life?
Looking for a way to serve or feel a sense of belonging to the community?
We volunteer because someone's LIFE depends on it!
Become part of an special team of volunteers in your community!
Feel a sense of satisfaction by helping your neighbors!
Become part of our Fire-Rescue Family!
Receive free training that can prepare you for a future career!
Please click on the patch on the right side of the screen to send us your information if you think you may be interested in becoming a Volunteer Firefighter or Rescue Squad member!
Call us at 804-457-VOL6 and leave a message!
Fire/Rescue meetings are the 1st Thursday of each month at 7pm at the station.
Auxiliary meetings are the 2nd Thursday of each month at 7pm at the station.
Come out and see how you can serve your community!
Take some time to look around the site, and let us know what you think by leaving a note in our Guestbook.